Date: Fri,  6 May 2016 10:46:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: cve-assign@...re.org
To: squid3@...enet.co.nz
Cc: cve-assign@...re.org, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE Request: Squid HTTP caching proxy

> 1) Cache Poisoning issue in HTTP Request handling
> Advisory at http://www.squid-cache.org/Advisories/SQUID-2016_7.txt
> Patch at
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.5/changesets/squid-3.5-14039.patch
>
>   When absolute-URI is provided Host header should be ignored. However some
>   code still uses Host directly so normalize it using the URL authority
>   value before doing any further request processing.
>
>   For now preserve the case where Host is completely absent.

Use CVE-2016-4553.

> 2) Header Smuggling issue in HTTP Request processing
> Advisory at http://www.squid-cache.org/Advisories/SQUID-2016_8.txt
>
> Patches at:
>  http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.1/changesets/squid-3.1-10496.patch
>  http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.5/changesets/squid-3.5-14038.patch
>
> Require exact match in Host header name lookup
>
> - while (xisspace(*p))
> -     ++p;

Use CVE-2016-4554.

> 3) Multiple Denial of Service issues in ESI Response processing.
> Advisory at http://www.squid-cache.org/Advisories/SQUID-2016_9.txt
>
> Patches at:
>  http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.4/changesets/SQUID-2016_9.patch
>  http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.5/changesets/SQUID-2016_9.patch

> Due to incorrect pointer handling and reference counting Squid is
> vulnerable to a denial of service attack when processing ESI
>
> These problems allow a remote server delivering certain ESI
> response syntax to trigger a denial of service for all clients
> accessing the Squid service.

Use CVE-2016-4555 for the vulnerability in client_side_request.cc -
here, "if (aConn)" was added.

Use CVE-2016-4556 for the vulnerability in Esi.cc - it is
described as "was being unlocked without having been locked."

> Due to unrelated changes Squid-3.5 has become vulnerable to some
> regular ESI server responses also triggering one or more of these
> issues.
>
> This bug is fixed by Squid version 3.5.18 and 4.0.10.

As far as we can tell, this does not really mean that there is an
additional vulnerability in 3.5.17 that did not exist in 4.0.9.
Instead, it means that the vulnerabilities are the same, but in 3.5.x
people might notice the vulnerabilities being exploited accidentally.

> (URLs below are now all public, but some of our mirrors may take a few
> more hours to pick up the changes).

This means, for example, that the URLs work if one manually locates
all instances of www.squid-cache.org and inserts www1.jp.squid-cache.org
instead. See http://www.squid-cache.org/Download/http-mirrors.html
for other options.

- --
CVE Assignment Team
M/S M300, 202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ A PGP key is available for encrypted communications at
  http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]