Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2016 20:33:59 +0200
From: Gustavo Grieco <gustavo.grieco@...il.com>
To: cve-assign@...re.org
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE requests: DoS in librsvg parsing SVGs with circular definitions

> > Two DoS in librsvg 2.40.2 parsing SVGs with circular definitions were
> found
> > (they will produce stack exhaustion). Other versions can be vulnerable
> too.
>
> > these issues are solved in the last git revision of librsvg2
>
> Probably the best we can reasonably do here is assign separate CVE IDs
> to the separate reproducers. Are there any other details that might
> enable a wider set of readers to use your report for risk management?

This version of librsvg is still deployed in Ubuntu (trusty) and Debian
(wheezy). Imagemagick is using librsvg2 so a vulnerability there can affect
even when you receive an untrusted image.  Also, Evolution was rendering
SVG attached images:

(this bug is quite old and it is fixed, hopefully Evolution is not
rendering SVG images using librsvg now)

> 2.40.2 is apparently a version from late 2013. Is this related to
>
> https://git.gnome.org/browse/librsvg/commit/?id=8ee18b22ece0f869cb4e2e021c01138cbb8a0226
> (from 2015-02-06): "If a chain of paint servers, defined through the
> xlink:href attribute, has a cycle, then we would loop infinitely"?

Most likely yes. It is also related with CVE-2015-7558, which was fixed
here:

https://git.gnome.org/browse/librsvg/commit/?id=a51919f7e1ca9c535390a746fbf6e28c8402dc61

The only way to know for sure is to use git-bisect. I can only advise to
upgrade to 2.40.15 where all these issues are solved.