Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 00:33:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: cve-assign@...re.org
To: matthias@...lons.info
Cc: cve-assign@...re.org, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request: opam - missing certificate validation

> https://github.com/ocaml/opam/commit/3d43295df3bb9e67e60801d319bf82c2c8a84d24
> https://github.com/ocaml/opam/commit/5507426030a60c50f7479ac758d116b573fdbd5e
> https://github.com/ocaml/opam/issues/55
> https://github.com/ocaml/opam/issues/2006

> https://github.com/ocaml/opam/issues/2006#issue-57763563

> This was added because of compatibility issues on many common
> installations, in which curl didn't have access to a reasonable list
> of root certificates (in particular for github). I am wondering if
> this is still an issue now ?
>
> We still double-check md5s of course.

> src/repository/opamDownload.ml
>
> let curl_args = [
>
> - CString "--insecure", None;
>
> let wget_args = [
>
> - CString "--no-check-certificate", None;

> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=818081#15
>
> This issue does not warrant a DSA, but may be good to fix it as well
> in an upcoming jessie point release.

We feel that this should not have a CVE ID because the removed curl
and wget options had been intentional behavior. In other words, the
vendor was not particularly interested in ensuring that the client was
communicating with the correct web site. That required relying on
third parties (maintainers of curl and wget) to maintain certificate
data. Instead, the vendor was interested in whether the client was
downloading the correct file. Achieving that can be independent.

- --
CVE Assignment Team
M/S M300, 202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ A PGP key is available for encrypted communications at
  http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]