Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 13:12:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: cve-assign@...re.org
To: joerg.schaible@....de
Cc: cve-assign@...re.org, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request - XStream: XXE vulnerability

> XStream (x-stream.github.io) ... An attacker could therefore provide
> manipulated XML as input to access data on the file system
>
> Since XStream 1.4.9 all parsers are configured to ignore external entities
> by default as far as such behavior is configurable:
> http://x-stream.github.io/changes.html#1.4.9

Use CVE-2016-3674 for the XStream vulnerability that was resolved by
this change.

> Applications using XOM or explicitly BEA's old StAX reference parser are
> still vulnerable, we found no way to deactivate processing of external
> entities for those two.

These seem to be present in one or more Linux distributions and thus
might have widespread deployment, e.g.,

  http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/xom.git
  http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/bea-stax.git

Within the context of XStream itself, we do not feel that the
XomDriver or BEAStaxDriver behavior should have a CVE stating that
version 1.4.9 is vulnerable, because
http://x-stream.github.io/faq.html#Security_XXEVulnerability
explicitly documents the behavior, and XStream users could reasonably
be expected to look at that FAQ document before choosing XomDriver or
BEAStaxDriver for use with untrusted XML documents.

However, that FAQ document might suggest that the underlying problems
are upstream implementation errors, e.g., the design of these pieces
of code would be reasonably expected to support ignoring all external
entities but did not achieve that:

  https://java.net/projects/xom/sources/svn/content/trunk/src/nu/xom/tests/BuilderTest.java
  private static class NonEntityResolvingFilter extends XMLFilterImpl

  https://repository.jboss.org/nexus/content/groups/public-jboss/stax/stax-src/1.2.0/stax-src-1.2.0.distribution-zip
  src/com/bea/xml/stream/ConfigurationContextBase.java

Does anyone want to request two CVE IDs for these two products? (We
think that the StAX issue is more general than CVE-2013-7315.)

- --
CVE Assignment Team
M/S M300, 202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ A PGP key is available for encrypted communications at
  http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]