Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 13:01:38 -0500 (CDT)
From: Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@...ple.dallas.tx.us>
To: oss-security <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Re: CVE-Request - GNU Awk.

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016, Kurt Seifried wrote:

> Is a SIGSEGV on it's own enough to justify a CVE? For some apps the answer
> would be yes (e.g. a single threaded network service that crashes out). For
> something like gawk I'm not so sure, it's a local utility that shouldn't

I don't see a security issue here.  It is just a bug.  In order for it
to be a security issue, it needs to be caused by external data input
into the program (e.g data processed by the awk script).  This would
also apply to a network service which has a bug and crashes due to
something other than specific external input (e.g. resource leak).

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@...ple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/