Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 22:28:05 +0100
From: René Rebe <rene@...ctcode.de>
To: Charlemagne Lasse <charlemagnelasse@...il.com>
Cc: rawstudio-users@...studio.org,
 Gábor Horváth <ghorvath@....bme.hu>,
 Anders Brander <anders@...nder.dk>,
 dcoffin@...ercom.net,
 darktable-dev@...ts.darktable.org,
 xbmc-addons@...ts.sourceforge.net,
 ufraw-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net,
 oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [exact-image] Missing fixes for CVEs in upstream dcraw

Hi Charles,

I do not remember adding anything special to just disable dcraw.

The most straight forward would be to comment it out in the Makefile via NOT_SRCS while building.

If you the CVE has a test case I can include the test case and fix in the exact-iamge source tree.

Greetings,
	René

On Mar 5, 2016, at 21:49, Charlemagne Lasse <charlemagnelasse@...il.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the answer.
>
> It is a rather odd decision to ignore an existing fix for
> CVE-2013-1438. This also means that dcraw cannot be used when any
> untrusted person has access (or he can DoS a service).
>
> Rene Rebe, is it possible to disable dcraw support in the
> perl/php/python bindings of exactimage to work around this problem on
> webservices?

>> Hi Guys,
>>
>>     CVE-2015-3885 was fixed in v9.26 and CVE-2015-8366 will
>> be fixed in v9.27.  Overrunning an automatic array is how most
>> hijacks happen, and overrunning a malloc'd buffer is probably
>> not good either.
>>
>>     CVE-2013-1438 seems designed to prevent dcraw from entering
>> an infinite or very time-consuming loop.  I'm not interested in
>> this because there are infinitely many ways to create a loop in
>> a TIFF file, and solving the Halting Problem is beyond the scope
>> of dcraw.
>>                                Dave Coffin  3/4/2016
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 02:28:18PM +0000, Charlemagne Lasse wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> it looks like there are a number of CVE against dcraw. All of them were
>>> fixed in the downstream project libRAW but none of them were fixed by
>>> you in the upstream project dcraw. When can we expect that these are
>>> fixed in dcraw? The list of CVE's I know about are:
>>>
>>> CVE-2015-8366
>>> https://github.com/LibRaw/LibRaw/commit/89d065424f09b788f443734d44857289489ca9e2
>>>
>>> CVE-2015-3885
>>> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=1027072
>>>
>>> CVE-2013-1438
>>> https://sourceforge.net/p/ufraw/bugs/361/attachment/0001-CVE-2013-1438-fix-various-security-issues.patch
>>>
>>> Several other downstream projects may still be affected. I've Cc'ed the
>>> ones which I know
>>>
>>> darktable
>>> exactimage
>>> kodi/xbmc
>>> rawstudio
>>> rawtherapee
>>> ufraw
>>>
>>> Thanks

 ExactCODE GmbH, Lietzenburger Str. 42, DE-10789 Berlin
 DE Legal: Amtsgericht Berlin (Charlottenburg) HRB 105123B, Tax-ID#: DE251602478
 Managing Director: René Rebe
 http://exactcode.com | http://exactscan.com | http://ocrkit.com | http://t2-project.org | http://rene.rebe.de