Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 12:25:24 -0700
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: CVE ID Requests <cve-assign@...re.org>
Cc: oss-security <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: CVE's for SSLv2 support

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 12:12 PM, <cve-assign@...re.org> wrote:

> > If a crypto library (e.g. OpenSSL, NSS) supports AND enables SSLv2 by
> > default should it receive a CVE?
>
> There's no general answer to that question. CVE ID assignments are not
> based on outsiders making guesses about the expectations of a product's
> customers. For example, there might be a crypto library intended for
> communication on isolated networks to high-value embedded devices that
> support only SSLv2, and cannot and will not ever be updated.

I guess my confusion is: what would be the downside to assigning a CVE in
such a case, such a "false positive" would be easily explained ("yes we
support SSLv2, but only for use on closed network"[1]) but more to the
point by drawing a line in the sand of "SSLv2 is worth a CVE" we'd be much
more easily able to track which products are using SSLv2 by default (and
thus putting us at risk). From your web page "CVE is a dictionary of
publicly known information security vulnerabilities and exposures."

Does SSLv2 not pretty much exactly fit this definition now?

[1] which begs the question why they're even using SSLv2 but I digress =)

PGP A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993
Red Hat Product Security contact: secalert@...hat.com