Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 09:23:26 -0800
From: "Zach W." <kestrel@...linux.us>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: shodan.io actively infiltrating ntp.org IPv6 pools
 for scanning purposes

> I'm also not sure that having scanners scan and publish these results is
> such a bad thing, it raises awareness, and hopfully long term leads to
> things like legislation that forces device makers to make safe devices
> (e.g. no web interface with password "Admin")

I agree with Kurt.

Having worked heavily with projects such as Shodan, I understand that
there are two sides to the coin. However, many issues have been brought
to light with such services that would otherwise not have been known to
the sec community.

I'm not sure if @achillean (John Matherly) is on oss-sec, but he is
always very forthcoming in dealing with these kinds of things. My
suggestion would be to reach out to him and find out.

Zach W.