Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 17:33:37 +0100
From: Fabio Pagani <pagabuc@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Fwd: x86 ROP mitigation

Hello everybody,

I'm jumping into this discussion since I've worked the last couple of
months on this topic.

The plan outlined in the previous email seems reasonable but, for a
more complete overview, you should definitely check G-Free:
https://www.iseclab.org/papers/gfree.pdf

> It seems to me that if the stack canary check happened directly before
> the RET instruction, after restoring the registers, it would make it
> more difficult to abuse the RET instruction.  With the code above, you
> can just jump to the address 1c6e7 and have access to quite a few useful
> POP instructions.

You are right. Attackers will have access to POP instruction and
potentially to any instruction found in an unaligned fashion.
Shifting down the check will work but it's very dangerous, because you
are accessing a part of the stack that was deallocated with the add.

Actually I've implemented G-Free for X86-64 (except the "symbolic
addresses" part) in the LLVM backend.
The source will be released max in 2 weeks, but anyway i will be very
happy to discuss and help for a GCC implementation.

// Fab