Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 19:54:20 -0500 (EST)
From: cve-assign@...re.org
To: ml@...kweb.net
Cc: cve-assign@...re.org, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request: Jenkins remote code execution vulnerability due to unsafe deserialization

> Remote code execution vulnerability due to unsafe deserialization in Jenkins remoting
> Unsafe deserialization allows unauthenticated remote attackers to run arbitrary code on the Jenkins master.
> This is tracked as SECURITY-218 in the Jenkins project. All current Jenkins releases are affected.

> https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/SECURITY/Jenkins+Security+Advisory+2015-11-11

> Public exploit:
> http://foxglovesecurity.com/2015/11/06/what-do-weblogic-websphere-jboss-jenkins-opennms-and-your-application-have-in-common-this-vulnerability/#jenkins

>> The exploit requires you to have access to a high numbered TCP port
>> running on the Jenkins machine, so it's unlikely this one will work
>> from the Internet.

> Temporary workaround:
> https://jenkins-ci.org/content/mitigating-unauthenticated-remote-code-execution-0-day-jenkins-cli

> A related issue is being discussed here:
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2015/11/09/1
> Jenkins is affected by both this and the Groovy variant in 'ysoserial'.

Use CVE-2015-8103 for the vulnerability addressed by modifying Jenkins
to be safe in the presence of a problematic
webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib/commons-collections-*.jar file.

As far as we know, "the Groovy variant in 'ysoserial'" means:

  https://github.com/frohoff/ysoserial/blob/master/src/main/java/ysoserial/payloads/Groovy1.java

which is a CVE-2015-3253 exploit. Also, we are guessing that Groovy is
relevant because of:

  https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Groovy+plugin

If preventing the ysoserial Groovy attack against Jenkins only
involves updating the installed Groovy code to 2.4.4 or 2.4.5, and it
has never been necessary or recommended to change any component unique
to Jenkins, then we would recommend mapping to CVE-2015-3253. If it
were necessary or recommended to change any component unique to
Jenkins, then you can have an additional CVE ID for the ysoserial
Groovy aspect of SECURITY-218. (Our expectation is that separate CVE
IDs are needed because the Groovy plugin has own version numbering --
such as version 1.27 -- that's separate from the version numbering of
Jenkins core.)

- --
CVE assignment team, MITRE CVE Numbering Authority
M/S M300
202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ PGP key available through http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]