Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 03:01:46 -0400
From: Robert Watson <robertcwatson1@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE Request: BusyBox tar directory traversal

If the user unpacking the tar does not have write access to the target
directory of the symlink, won't the write of that file fail?

If the unpacking user *does* have write access to the symlink target
directory, but the file already exists in that directory, however the user
does not have write-access to that file, won't the write fail then as well?

A common use-case for tar is writing to a single directory and below as you
say. But it is by no means the only capability.

Remember that tar was created primarily for software distribution and
compressed tar files are most often used to this day for that purpose.
Software distribution almost always involves writing files to many
different directories at all levels of the filesystem. Symlinks between
them are quite common as well.

What am I misunderstanding?

*Trust in truth keeps hope aliverobertcwatson1@...il.com
<robertcwatson1@...il.com>www.docsalvage.info