Date: Sun,  6 Sep 2015 12:58:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: cve-assign@...re.org
To: scott@...iszewski.me
Cc: cve-assign@...re.org, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Some Wordpress Plugin Stuff

> SecurityMoz Security Audit
>
> https://wordpress.org/plugins/securemoz-security-audit/
>
> file_get_contents() + explicitly HTTP (no TLS) -> unserialize()

> http://plugins.svn.wordpress.org/securemoz-security-audit/trunk/class/__functions.php
>
> unserialize(file_get_contents("http://api.tweetmeme.com/url_info.php?url=$url"));

Use CVE-2015-6828.

> WP Limit Login Attempts
>
> https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-limit-login-attempts/
>
> Trivial SQL injection via HTTP headers.
>
> $ip = getip();
>
> SELECT ... WHERE `login_ip` =  '$ip'
>
> function getip(){
>
> $ip = $_SERVER['HTTP_CLIENT_IP'];
> $ip = $_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR'];

Use CVE-2015-6829.

> Also, Tor Blocker (link below) uses HTTP to grab the list of IP addresses
> to block. It's telling and appropriate that the person who developed a
> plugin to oppose a privacy technology would fail to use TLS.
>
> https://wordpress.org/plugins/tor-exit-nodes-blocker/
>
> (Surely no one would ever think to hack an upstream router and MitM the
> connection to block the blog administrator from their own blog or allow Tor
> nodes through!)

We don't think that we can assign a CVE ID for this. The product
relies on data at the http://pike.hqpeak.com/api/free.php URL; that
data is not currently available at the
https://pike.hqpeak.com/api/free.php URL or any other HTTPS URL that
we know about. Apparently the risk in using HTTP is
incorrect/incomplete data, not code execution. If MITM attacks occur,
the product user could typically recover from them by deleting
unwanted postings and by establishing their own administrative login
from a different IP address. MITM attacks aren't likely to occur
continuously. Given that the data is only available via HTTP (not
HTTPS) and the product user wants the data, we're unable to reach a
conclusion that the http://pike.hqpeak.com URL is necessarily a
vulnerability without knowing the vendor's perspective. One possible
example is that the vendor didn't want to support HTTPS in case the
plugin became very popular and the pike.hqpeak.com server was unable
to support all of the load of cryptography calculations.

- --
CVE assignment team, MITRE CVE Numbering Authority
M/S M300
202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ PGP key available through http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]