Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2015 15:50:10 -0400
From: François Labrèche <f.labreche@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Olivier Bilodeau <olivier@...tomlesspit.org>
Subject: CVE request - simple-php-captcha - captcha bypass vulnerability

Hi,

We found a captcha bypass vulnerability in an open source captcha
software, made by Cory LaViska for A Beautiful Site. Here is the github
repository: https://github.com/claviska/simple-php-captcha.

We opened an issue on github
<https://github.com/claviska/simple-php-captcha/issues/16>, and the
vulnerability has been fixed. They never did any release so we don't
think the fix will be released in any form. Simply advising users to
update to git master's should suffice.

The simple-php-captcha.php file had a vulnerability enabling a client to
generate the captcha response automatically, effectively bypassing the
captcha.

Since the microtime() function was used both in the initial seed for the
captcha and in the captcha url path sent to the client, it was possible
to generate the captcha result automatically by running the same code
client-side.

Could a CVE be assigned to this?

Thank you,
François