Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 10:11:02 +0200
From: Luca Bruno <lucab@...ian.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: node.js out of band write

On Monday 06 July 2015 09:34:24 Florian Weimer wrote:

> > This release of Node.js fixes a bug that triggers an out-of-band write
> > in V8's utf-8 decoder. This bug impacts all Buffer to String
> > conversions. This is an important security update as this bug can be
> > used to cause a denial of service attack.
>
> I have trouble reconciling this description with the fix in this commit:
>
> <https://github.com/joyent/node/commit/78b0e30954111cfaba0edbeee85450d8cbc6f
> df6>
>
> Upstream v8 lacks this change.  Is it required in Node.js because
> Node.js pokes at v8 internals in unsupported ways?

This should be the corresponding fix (plus testcases) on upstream v8:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/v8/v8.git/+/b199bcdd47ae97ec116b430e34ab42001c8f04c0%5E!/#F2

Cheers, Luca

--
 .''`.  ** Debian GNU/Linux **  | Luca Bruno (kaeso)
: :'  :   The Universal O.S.    | lucab (AT) debian.org

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (820 bytes)