Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 16:20:15 +0200
From: Andrea Palazzo <andrea.palazzo@...el.it>
To: Stanislav Malyshev <smalyshev@...il.com>
CC: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, security@....net
Subject: Re: CVE Request + Advisory: PHP str_repeat() sign mismatch based
 memory corruption

Hi again!

My point is: once you get to have a corrupted zval, there are tons of
functions that would result in memory errors if working on it.
A str_repeat() with user-supplied arguments is not so common at all, but
let's say you have it (e.g.
http://phpcrossref.com/xref/jpegmeta/EXIF.php.html,
https://code.google.com/p/zimbra-api-php/,
http://phpcrossref.com/xref/jpegmeta/XML.php.html) it is really likely
that it would end up processed by one of these functions (string
concatenation, for example).

$makernote  <http://phpcrossref.com/xref/jpegmeta/_variables/makernote.html>  .=str_repeat  <http://phpcrossref.com/xref/jpegmeta/_functions/str_repeat.html>("\x00",($tiff_data  <http://phpcrossref.com/xref/jpegmeta/_variables/tiff_data.html>[ 'Makernote_Tag' ][ 'Offset' ] - 8 ) );