Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 11:01:14 +0200
From: Andrea Palazzo <andrea.palazzo@...el.it>
To: Stanislav Malyshev <smalyshev@...il.com>, cve-assign@...re.org
CC: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, security@....net
Subject: Re: CVE Request + Advisory: PHP str_repeat() sign mismatch based
 memory corruption

Hi Stas,
while I agree on what you say about the huge memory allocation needed, I
wouldn't say this requires the ability to run arbitrary code,
controlling str_repeat() arguments it's enough to create a corrupted
zval and injecting an eventual payload somewhere in memory (which,
again, is unlikely but possible).
About code execution, I haven't had the chance to focus on actual
exploitation yet (I surely will in the near future), but as you can see
from the original report (https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=69403), I
pointed out several cases in which working on a so-crafted zval would
lead to invalid memory access (with user controlled values as well), so
I am pretty confident it is achievable.