Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 19:04:35 +0000
From: Jeremy Stanley <fungi@...goth.org>
To: OSS Security <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Cc: CVE Request <cve-assign@...re.org>,
	Etherpad Security <security@...erpad.org>,
	John McLear <John@...ear.co>,
	Stefan Müller <stefan@...fans-entwicklerecke.de>
Subject: CVE Request for incomplete fix to CVE-2015-3297 in Etherpad Minify

A vulnerability was discovered in Etherpad (see below). In order to
ensure full traceability, we need a CVE number assigned that we can
attach to further notifications. This issue is already public.

Title: Incomplete fix to CVE-2015-3297 in Etherpad Minify
Reporter: anonymous
Versions: 1.1.2 through 1.5.4

An anonymous reporter pointed out an incomplete fix to CVE-2015-3297
in the minify feature of current Etherpad releases. There is an
additional location in the script where backslashes are replaced
with slashes in the path parameter of HTTP API calls after path
normalization is applied, allowing an attacker supplying a slightly
different specially-crafted request to remotely read arbitrary files
on the server's filesystem with the privileges of the account
running the service.

Notes:
This bug was introduced in commit a97b83b which was initially
included in the 1.1.2 release (a later commit than the one which
introduced CVE-2015-3297 in 1.1.1), and is fixed in commit 0fa7650
which will appear in a future 1.5.5 release.