Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 18:02:32 +0000
From: mancha <mancha1@...o.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: cve-assign@...re.org, coley@...re.org
Subject: Re: cve-assign delays

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 03:18:33PM -0400, Steven M. Christey wrote:

> We recognize that some requesters have experienced delays, and
> sometimes lengthy delays, in getting CVE IDs assigned. We apologize
> for those delays.
>
> The number of cve-assign requests has been growing dramatically, as
> has the number of unique and new requesters. Our goal is always to
> provide reasonable response times, and we were caught by the spike in
> requests.
>
> We are working to improve our responsiveness through a combination of
> process changes, improved communications, and staffing shifts.
>
> We appreciate your understanding and expect that you will see positive
> changes in the cve-assign response times over the coming weeks.
>
> Best regards, Steve Christey Coley

Hi.

I had been wondering about the delays so many thanks for your email.

What's not entirely clear to me is how you're dealing with the existing
backlog. Are reporters expected to re-submit requests?

For example, I have two outstanding requests from mid-February:

  1. glibc http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2015/02/13/3
  2. xrdp http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2015/02/19/1

Are those still on MITRE's radar screen? Thanks.

--mancha