Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 20:31:42 -0700
From: Nick Kralevich <nnk@...gle.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: "CERT(R) Coordination Center" <cert@...t.org>
Subject: Re: Vendor adoption of PIE INFO#934476 oss-security

I wanted to provide a followup on this year-old thread.

With the release of Android 5.0, Android has removed support for
non-PIE binaries [1] [2]. Attempting to run a non-PIE binary will
generate an error on Android. In this way, we ensure that all binaries
take full advantage of Android's ASLR implementation.

This is just one of the many security enhancements added in Android
5.*, and one that I hope other Linux distributions will pick up.

[1] https://source.android.com/devices/tech/security/enhancements/enhancements50.html
[2] https://android.googlesource.com/platform/bionic/+/76e289c026f11126fc88841b3019fd5bb419bb67

-- Nick

--