Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 19:11:41 +0000
From: Marek Kroemeke <kroemeke@...il.com>
To: cve-assign@...re.org
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Varnish 4.0.3 heap-buffer-overflow while parsing backend server
 HTTP response.

Hi there,

It sounds like the same discussion that we had - we tried to avoid it by adding that
last line of the report *cough* ;-)

You don't need DNS spoofing - a php script which returns required "rouge" headers
is enough right? When reporting the previous bugs, the thinking was more about cases like :

* CDNs using varnish (in the same way cloudflare uses nginx, akamai uses "ghost"  etc...)
* Shared hosting environments that put varnish in front
* Cases where backend app's response splitting bug is escalated to DoS
  or in this case, possibly to have RCE on server in between the client
  and the backend app.
* Cases where you have backends with different level of "trust"

And again - it all depends on how you treat reverse proxy server. Our understanding
is that rfc doesn't specify or describe "reverse http proxy" , and essentially
this can be treated as a server (when looking from browser perspective) or a client
when looking from the backend server perspective. Question was - is a case where "client"
 may end up in in that undefined state (DoS , RCE due to some buffer overflow..) be treated
as a security problem. Conclusion was that DoS is acceptable, not sure what about other
types of bugs though.

To be clear - we think that if vendor clearly says that you have to fully trust your
backend server when you use the product, then this is what it is, but we can't/couldn't
find anything like that on vendor's website (should we? - don't know, open question).

regards,