Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 07:43:05 +1100
From: Joshua Rogers <oss@...ernot.info>
To: cve-assign@...re.org
CC: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE Request: PHP

Hi,
On 25/01/15 06:28, cve-assign@...re.org wrote:
> MITRE doesn't have a full code analysis and isn't confident about
> whether the "explicit null dereference" exists or not. All we can
> offer is that the "wouldn't change g->setbits to a non-NULL value"
> seems somewhat implausible because it means that significant intended
> functionality of the code wouldn't have worked at all.
The code branch is where this:
157        if (cflags&REG_EXTENDED)

is true. will lead to the null pointer deference

so this gets executed:
158                p_ere(p, OUT);

rather than the p_str(as stated):
159        else if (cflags&REG_NOSPEC)
160                p_str(p);

ereg is deprecated as of 5.3.0
(http://php.net/manual/en/function.ereg.php), and there doesn't seem to
be that much documentation on it, so it's hard to make a reproducer.

However,

79 = #define      REG_EXTENDED    0001

this gives a clue as to why it probably hasn't been caught before.

"REG_EXTENDED", according to the regex(3) manual, is for "POSIX Extended
Regular Expression syntax"

which probably isn't that common.

But, I do welcome an independent review.

Thanks,
--
-- Joshua Rogers <https://internot.info/>

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (820 bytes)