Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 11:24:24 -0700
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: What is the "Grinch" polkit/wheel group issue?

On 17/12/14 10:00 AM, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This probably needs a CVE too, or does it have one?
>
> https://www.alertlogic.com/blog/dont-let-grinch-steal-christmas/
> http://www.pcworld.com/article/2860032/this-linux-grinch-could-put-a-hole-in-your-security-stocking.html
>
> Although it seems that the user is in the "wheel" group for this to be exploitable
> and is hard to specify what actions should be safed by another query or which should not.
>
> Ciao, Marcus

Yeah I looked into this (the article/etc was completely confusing and
took some time to parse):

1) the article states they contacted red hat, we were unable to find
any inbound email or bugzilla entry pertaining to this issue, as always
if you have an issue you wish to report please contact secalert@...hat.com

2) this is expected behaviour, admin users can install software (do I
have to say this? really? yes. I was told I should say this).

3) don't run web apps as admin users (do I have to say this? really?
yes. I was told I should say this).

4) if you feel the need to run a web app as an admin user restrict what
they can do via SELinux, and  don't let them install software (do I have
to say this? really? yes. I was told I should say this).

So TL;DR: it's not a security vulnerability, and it will NOT be getting
a CVE.

I can only assume this article/vuln is perhaps referring to something
like Cpanel and other control panels that people sometimes install
insecurely/improperly and then never update. Or something. Who knows.

PGP A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (820 bytes)