Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 07:59:14 +1100
From: Joshua Rogers <oss@...ernot.info>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Fuzzing findings (and maybe CVE requests) - Image/GraphicsMagick,
 elfutils, GIMP, gdk-pixbuf, file, ndisasm, less

On 17/11/14 07:43, Michal Zalewski wrote:
>> However, even if tools like file/ndisasm/gimp/readelf can be used by
>> > many (w/o strong system isolation boundaries) to analyze untrusted
>> > inputs (for reverse engineering, malware analysis and similar
>> > purposes) - I'd simply put a blame on those users
> Well, it's always the easy option, but keep in mind that there are
> countless tutorials that tell people to use 'file' or 'strings' to
> examine sketchy file, or use tools such as objdump to do hobby
> forensics.
I agree with Michal on this.
It's like saying Ritchie's fault for the fact that C does not have
inbuilt bound checking, allowing for buffer overflows...

I won't really expand on this, but my opinion is that _any_ program that
is 'trusted', such as `file' and `strings', that contains a flaw in it
that could pwn the running user, is a security risk.

I'll also add, from the `file' manpage:
>   There has been a file command in every UNIX since at least Research
> Version 4 (man page dated November, 1973).  The System V version intro‐
>      duced one significant major change: the external list of magic
> types.  This slowed the program down slightly but made it a lot more
> flexible.
`file' is also used by internals of most programs that handle any input
too. Or some variant of it(probably libmagic).

And one last point.. `vlc' is used with untrusted input(i.e .mp4s, avis,
mp3s, etc.). If somebody gets pwned because they try to watch a video
they download, is it their fault?..

Thanks,
--
-- Joshua Rogers <https://internot.info/>