Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 10:32:39 +1100 (EST)
From: Dave Horsfall <dave@...sfall.org>
To: oss-security <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
 revealed soon:)

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014, Michal Zalewski wrote:

> (BUGTRAQ, too, although that list seems to be in a pretty bad shape
> these days and perhaps its days are numbered).

It could be because they're hosted at Security Focus, whose mailserver
could best be described as erratic.  It doesn't like long banners or greet
pauses (both anti-spammer defences) and retries frequently, as if that
will make any difference.  I'm told that this is a "feature" of Qmail
(along with its other antisocial habits).

Oddly enough, I do receive the occasional BugTraq message, so sometimes it
works, hence my description of them being erratic.  For example, this one
worked:

yet these failed miserably:

Oct 30 09:46:20 aneurin sm-mta[79426]: s9TMhmHs079426: smtp.securityfocus.com [143.127.139.113] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to IPv4
Oct 30 09:46:30 aneurin sm-mta[79427]: s9TMhv1H079427: smtp.securityfocus.com [143.127.139.113] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to IPv4

Feedback to list owner, abuse, and postmaster go implacably unanswered.

--
Dave Horsfall (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)