Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 09:10:24 +0200
From: Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: SSL POODLE

On 10/15/2014 08:05 AM, Krassimir Tzvetanov wrote:
> Agreed: just I think you meant "1": security.tls.version.min == 1 (not 3)...
>
> from: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Security.tls.version.*
> ---
> 1
>
> TLS 1.0 is the minimum required / maximum supported encryption protocol.
> (This is the current default for the maximum supported version.)
> ---

What seems to get lost is this part of Mozilla's announcement:

“This relies on a behavior of browsers called insecure fallback, where
browsers attempt to negotiate lower versions of TLS or SSL when
connections fail.”

<https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2014/10/14/the-poodle-attack-and-the-end-of-ssl-3-0/>

As far as I can tell, the TLS downgrade protection mechanism work.
However, browsers have an out-of-protocol, unprotected downgrade
mechanism to SSL 3.0.  (The Firefox function is called
“retryDueToTLSIntolerance”.)  I think we would be better off disabling
*that* mechanism (for which configuration knob seems to exist, alas),
instead of disabling SSL 3.0 or adding a different protocol version
probing mechanism.

 From what I can tell, applications which simply use one the usual TLS
implementations and do not implement their own protocol downgrade are
still secure even if both ends implement SSL 3.0 support because the
version numbers are protected by the handshake hash and the TLS
implementation will never negotiate use of the SSL 3.0 protocol version.