Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2014 01:09:19 +0200
From: Sven Kieske <svenkieske@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Thoughts on Shellshock and beyond

On 08.10.2014 23:53, Tracy Reed wrote:
> While it is too late for our hardware etc. perhaps strong type
> systems such as found in Haskell can help here? It is known to be
> very good at avoiding undefined or unexpected runtime behavior. Too
> late also for current languages to have this bolted on but if
> anyone wanted to write "secure" software I'd be looking at
> languages which provide some more guarantees. Too late for bash
> also, of course which I suppose points us back at the original
> problem.

Well, for web frameworks, just take yesod (http://www.yesodweb.com/
written in haskell) as an example. to quote their site:
"Turn runtime bugs into compile-time errors"

I still think, this is the right direction, yes it's painful.
But it's a real solution to a real (huge) fraction of the problem.

Imho of course, please enlighten me with some counter arguments.
Oh, here is one from myself:

vendors are not liable, not even for the most serious
software bugs. so there is no incentive for them to make
better software.

the software industry is afaik the only one which is not liable
if they fuck their very own products up.

do this if you're building skyscrapers, cars, medical
equipment, anything, and you go to jail.

the funny part is, these businesses do rely on software
today, so if there's a bug, let's say in some construction
software and no one notices, the skyscraper architect might
get sued and go to jail, but not the programmer/vendor
who wrote that shitty code.

Software is too important to not have any rules in place.
This was okay until the 90s (maybe), but not in the 21st
century.

regards

Sven

PS: fun fact, the only thing you _will_ get sued for are:
software patents