Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 16:40:22 +0000
From: "Mehaffey, John" <John_Mehaffey@...tor.com>
To: "oss-security@...ts.openwall.com" <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
CC: "dwheeler@...eeler.com" <dwheeler@...eeler.com>
Subject: Separating code and data

I think that separating code and data belongs on David's list of "Most Important
Software Innovations" (www.dwheeler.com/innovation/innovation.html), although
arguably the "Separating Text Content from Format" innovation is an example
of the class.

>From allowing better cache locality (modern architectures now have both an
i-cache and a d-cache) to the security improvements mentioned above, it is a
software concept that has paid many dividends over the years.

Sincerely,
John Mehaffey
Linux System Architect
Mentor Graphics