Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 22:48:36 +0200
From: Pierre Schweitzer <pierre@...ctos.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenSSL RSA 1024 bits implementation broken?

Thanks for your feedback Dave.
Then, some naive question: are we sure that OpenSSL as shipped in
distributions is tested against such regressions (if such test
actually exists)? It's indeed something that a compiler might break
(be it due to a bug or due to an optimization).
He might be using OpenSSL as shipped in his distribution. This would
be quite damaging.

Reproducibility in behavior is kinda critical here to make sure we're
always cryptosecure.

On 06/10/2014 17:30, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Oct 2014, Pierre Schweitzer wrote:
>
>> There appear to have some noise on the Internet regarding a
>> possible flaw in the 1024 bits RSA implementation in OpenSSL
>> which would allow bruteforcing the private key in ~20 minutes.
>>
>> Does anyone has any information about this? The associated
>> pastebin to the said information is: http://pastebin.com/D8itq6Ff
>> Is this serious?
>
> On the moderated crypto list where I hang out, it's receiving much
>  attention.  The consensus is that it's likely a buggy compiler or
>  optimiser that rounded integer division upwards instead of
> truncating it as required by the C standard, and that the
> "discoverer", by refusing to provide further details, is full of
> it.
>
> You may be able to search the archives at
> cryptography@...zdowd.com; as I said it's a moderated list, but
> full of techie people who really know their onions.
>
> -- Dave

- --
Pierre Schweitzer <pierre at reactos.org>
System & Network Administrator