Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 19:43:21 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Shellshocker - Repository of "Shellshock" Proof of Concept Code

On Sun, Oct 05, 2014 at 10:55:14AM -0400, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Oct 2014 17:44:15 +0400, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> > Here's the relevant test:
> > testfunc='() { echo bad; }' bash -c testfunc
>
> This is a MUCH better test for most people.  Hanno's test script is great for detail, but most people don't need the detail.
>
> I'm putting that email in my timeline at http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/shellshock.html#timeline - this is an EASY test people can directly use.

I think you're exaggerating my contribution when crediting me for this
simple test, and it's not that new either - I previously included it in:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2014/09/29/1

and Michal included it in:

http://lists.openwall.net/full-disclosure/2014/10/01/11

(I linked to Paul Vixie's reply here because it specifically focuses on
this test rather than on the rest of Michal's lengthy posting.)

As to your timeline, you may add:

Mon, 22 Sep 2014 07:16:35 +0200 - notification by Florian Weimer to the
(private, PGP-re-encrypting) distros list, with no detail and an offer
to request detail from the Debian security team.  Specifically, the