Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 15:22:49 +0200
From: Hanno Böck <hanno@...eck.de>
To: Riot <rain.backnet@...il.com>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Shellshock timeline (was: CVE-2014-6271: remote
 code execution through bash)

Am Sat, 4 Oct 2014 00:19:06 +0100
schrieb Riot <rain.backnet@...il.com>:

> We then worked further back in time, unearthing bash 1.08.2 on an
> ancient 1991 Atari ST image:
> http://images.rymate.co.uk/images/iwaSGPo.png  This was also
> vulnerable.  This version is relevant because the first version of
> bash ported to linux was bash 1.08 - here's the original post by
> Linus at the tender age of  advertising his first build of linux on
> the minix newsgroup in 1991, explicitly mentioning bash 1.08.  This
> datum told us that shellshock is older than all of linux, which makes
> for a nice soundbite for the press.
>
> Going back further proved very difficult because few archives
> including these early versions exist anywhere, and by all accounts
> the early releases were buggy and not particularly portable.  We
> eventually managed to locate an image for an obscure Japanese
> Human68k containing bash 1.05.  Here it identifies itself as bash
> 1.05 X6_19: http://images.rymate.co.uk/images/kH8VnTo.png  The file
> is dated 12/08/1991... and of course it's vulnerable:
> http://images.rymate.co.uk/images/zTYm05I.png

Can you post the relevant download links to the atari st / 68k images
and other possibly interesting stuff? Or where they from private
archives?

I think independently of current events this might be interesting for
people digging in IT history, so having them somewhere easy to find
would be nice.

--
Hanno Böck
http://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: hanno@...eck.de
GPG: BBB51E42

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (820 bytes)