Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 14:12:20 +0100
From: Simon McVittie <smcv@...ian.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: chet.ramey@...e.edu
Subject: Re: CVE-2014-6271: remote code execution through bash

On 26/09/14 00:43, Chet Ramey wrote:
>> I'm arguing that privilege boundaries should take responsibility for
>> their nature as a privilege boundary, and not pass the buck to the
>> code that they call into.
>
> It doesn't help if some process sets ruid = euid and execs bash,
> but bash doesn't import functions from the environment if
> ruid != euid.

Yes, what I'm saying is that in that situation, we should blame the
"some process", not bash. It is the "some process" that opted to act as
a privilege boundary (by being setuid or whatever), so it should be
responsible for taking extra care when it executes non-trivial code
(e.g. bash) with its elevated privileges.