Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 11:13:25 +0200
From: Tomas Hoger <thoger@...hat.com>
To: Ritwik Ghoshal <ritwik.ghoshal@...cle.com>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE Request: MySQL: MyISAM temporary file issue

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 12:36:00 -0700 Ritwik Ghoshal wrote:

> On 9/11/2014 1:28 AM, Sven Kieske wrote:
> > On 10/09/14 18:00, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
> >> The changes for MySQL 5.5.39[1] and 5.6.20[2] contain a reference
> >> to the following issue, which could be exploited by a local user
> >> to run arbitrary code in context of the mysqld server.
> >
> > While I'm investigating this:
> > Does someone happen to know in which version this vuln got
> > introduced?
>
> A complete list of all affected-supported MySQL releases will be
> published via Oracle's quarterly Critical Patch Update(CPU) advisory.
> More information about our CPU program is available at -
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/security/alerts-086861.html

Is CPU actually going to include the information Sven asked for?  Such
information was on included in past CPUs - they only mention the last
affected version in supported branch.  So in case of this flaw, it's
most likely only going to say:

  Supported Versions Affected: 5.5.38 and earlier, 5.6.19 and earlier

That will not answer the original question, or provide more information
than what's already available.

I mean it's reasonable to admit the info about the first affected
version is not readily available and won't be looked for, just noting
that CPU is very unlikely to provide that information.

--
Tomas Hoger / Red Hat Product Security