Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 09:47:39 +0200
From: Helmut Grohne <helmut@...divi.de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: CVE request: /tmp file vulnerability in ace

Please assign a CVE number for the ace build process using predictable
filenames in a world-writeable directory (DAC violation).

Upstream: http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html

In bin/generate_doxygen.pl line 177 it says:
> my $output = "/tmp/".$i.".".$$.".doxygen";

This path is later opened for writing. For context, see:
http://sources.debian.net/src/ace/6.2.7%2Bdfsg-1/bin/generate_doxygen.pl/#L177

Initial disclosure: http://bugs.debian.org/760709

(end of CVE request)

A quick "grep -r /tmp $ace_source" indicates more occasions that may be
worth researching. Most of the results reside within examples or
documentation though.

An interesting find is bin/g++-dep line 63:
> TMP=/tmp/g++dep$$
This path is also used for writing. The context can be found at:
http://sources.debian.net/src/ace/6.2.7%2Bdfsg-1/bin/g%2B%2Bdep/#L63
I am not sure whether instance is actually executed during the build,
but the Debian package installs it to the development package available
for user consumption.

Thanks

Helmut