Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 21:33:21 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: FreeNAS default blank password

It's one thing to have a default password (that's bad), but to expose it
by default to a web interface and the entire internal network/world and
expose it is another thing entirely. There is no way to securely setup
FreeNAS short of doing it all offline with a laptop plugged into it
until you have configured and secured it (which yeah... nobody is going
to do).

How hard would it be to not allow any remote Web GUI access until the
user accesses the text based console and sets the admin password? sigh.

On 17/08/14 01:47 AM, devzero2000 wrote:
> Il 17/Ago/2014 04:12 "Kurt Seifried" <kseifried@...hat.com> ha scritto:
>>
>> So I installed the latest FreeNAS (9.2.1.7), install is simple, no
>> options, it just drops it onto the disk you specify, you reboot, it works.
>>
>> By default you get a text based menu with some options (setup
>> network/DNS/etc.), and one option is "Reset WebGUI Login Credentials".
>>
>> The problem is at first boot (and if you ever pick "Reset WebGUI Login
>> Credentials") the web admin has a blank password, anyone that can access
>> it can set the admin password and then use the web GUI to fire up a root
>> shell (there's a nice little web shell command line).
>>
>> So an attacker can easily race the admin to the WebGUI, set a new
>> password, login as root, setup a backdoor, then reset the WebGUI
>> password so it's blank again and the admin would be none the wiser (log
>> files won't help because the attacker has root can can easily sanitize
>> them).
>>
>> There is no way from the text GUI to set the Web GUI admin password. I
>> don't think there is even a CLI tool to set the web GUI password (I
>> can't find it easily).
>>
>> Either way, does this deserve a CVE? Forcing a user to set the admin Web
>> GUI password through the Web GUI, meaning it must be exposed to some
>> degree prior to securing it. My understanding is default/blank admin
>> credentials now == CVE. Thanks.
>>

> Many device have a "default" password on first install that everyone know.
> For me "blank" password or "admin admin"  are equal as security risk. I
> have missed something ?
>
> Best regards
>> --
>> Kurt Seifried -- Red Hat -- Product Security -- Cloud
>> PGP A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993

PGP A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (820 bytes)