Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 09:23:21 -0700
From: Dean Pierce <pierce403@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: BadUSB discussion

Being able to "infect" a USB device (allowing unsigned firmware to be
flashed on) is bad.

Being able to "infect" a host controller is bad.
Using a USB device to get DMA, memory dumps, files, etc via loaded drivers
is bad, whether they are using legitimate code paths or kernel bugs.

I'm not so worried about the keyboard thing.  That's only interesting
because it's the automation of exploiting a machine that has already been
compromised.

Personally I would prefer disabling USB hotplug while a machine is locked
(or while there are no active TTYs or something for servers).  Even if HID
was whitelisted while the machine is locked, it would be a great start.

In regards to the PCI stuff, don't miss Joe's talk at DEFCON on Sunday.

https://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-22/dc-22-speakers.html#FitzPatrick

People have much more exposed PCI on their laptops and servers than they
realize.  It's super cheap, super easy, and when we start selling kits this
afternoon, it's going to be super accessible.

VTd/IOMMU would be nice to have if implemented properly, but it seems like
even OSX, the only OS currently using VTd as a security feature, still
hasn't gotten it quite right.

Also firewire attacks are still a thing.  What's up with that?  ExpressCard
and Thunderbolt adapters are super cheap, and Inception is still being
actively maintained with new targets being added regularly.

  - DEAN