Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 17:16:25 +0200
From: Tomas Hoger <thoger@...hat.com>
To: Ramon de C Valle <rdecvalle@...are.com>
Cc: "cve-assign@...re.org" <cve-assign@...re.org>,
        "oss-security@...ts.openwall.com" <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>,
        "mmcallis@...hat.com" <mmcallis@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: Re: [ruby-core:63604] [ruby-trunk - Bug #10019]
 [Open] segmentation fault/buffer overrun in pack.c (encodes)

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 15:10:05 +0000 Ramon de C Valle wrote:

> > First, we don't know what "The same sample works under 1.9.3" means.
> > It might mean "The same AWS sample is also a working vulnerability
> > reproducer when using Ruby 1.9.3." It might instead mean "With this
> > AWS sample, my program works normally when using Ruby 1.9.3; in
> > other words, no vulnerability is observed.”
>
> It meant that his sample worked normally when he used Ruby 1.9.3. (I
> assumed this because the version he specified as containing the bug
> in the report was Ruby 2.1, and specified Ruby 2.0 as requiring
> backport, but not Ruby 1.9.3.)

It's reasonable to assume that reporter did not touch the "Backport:"
field at all.  The issue was reported for ruby 2.1.2p168 (see the "ruby
-v" field).  Backport value was original set to:

  2.0.0: UNKNOWN, 2.1: UNKNOWN

which happens to be the default value pre-filed into the field for you
by the bug tracker when you try create a new issue.  You can easily
check by visiting:

https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/projects/ruby-trunk/issues/new

All changes from UNKNOWN to REQUIRED were not done by the reporter, as
you can see from the bug comments.

I don't think you can draw the conclusion based on the Backport field.

--
Tomas Hoger / Red Hat Security Response Team