Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 17:43:28 +0200
From: rf@...eap.de
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Linux kernel futex local privilege escalation
	(CVE-2014-3153)

    >> Thanks for the reply. I did read your earlier message. To answer
    >> your question: I only apply patches that are absolutely necessary
    >> to fix a known problem.

    Greg> "known problem" to whom?  :)

To the people on oss-security e.g? Published CVEs and obviously problems we
experience on our installations.

    Greg> With that kind of attitude, you are going to miss a lot of
    Greg> valuable kernel fixes for issues.  I'd recommend using a
    Greg> stable kernel release instead, but hey, it's your systems...

Probably something to tell Red Hat as well. They are still on 2.6.32 :)
But they have their reasons just as we have ours ...

    >> Want to make sure the changed stuff doesn't lead to a regression
    >> somewhere else.

    Greg> Nothing is ever "sure" in software.

That's not totally new to me :) So let's say "as sure as possible".

    >> Futex stuff is a central component in the kernel ... I can't
    >> judge about any possible side effects from reading the code ...
    >> and this kernel is going on a number of production clusters.

    Greg> Test it out first, like you should any update.  There are
    Greg> futex test suites out there, run them yourself to verify that
    Greg> nothing is broken.  As for if it fixes potentially future
    Greg> problems that others might not know about, well, that's a
    Greg> gamble on everyone's part, right?

Right. Thanks for the hint with the test suites. Will try them out.

    >> Anyway, I've applied all the (2+4) patches to our 3.12.

    Greg> Why are you "stuck" at 3.12?

We need quite a bit of out-of-kernel.org stuff. Without staying on a
fixed release for some time, this is non-maintainable.

    Greg> There is someone still maintaining 3.12-stable, why not rely
    Greg> on those releases if you want that kernel version, instead of
    Greg> rolling your own?

We thankfully do rely on that as our base. In this case though, the
patches haven't been ported until this moment. And I can't wait for them
to appear since there is no time-line when that will happen ...

Thanks for your comments,

Roland

-------
http://www.q-leap.com / http://qlustar.com
          --- HPC / Storage / Cloud Linux Cluster OS ---