Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 10:25:54 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Matt Wilson <msw@...zon.com>, Max Spevack <spevack@...zon.com>,
	Anthony Liguori <aliguori@...zon.com>
Subject: Re: Request for linux-distros list membership

On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 11:57:33PM -0600, Kurt Seifried wrote:
> So first off I'm inclined to have Amazon on the distros list (same
> reasons as Oracle basically).
>
> My only concern is are you the correct person, I have no clue who is
> on the Amazon security team for their Linux distribution, I've never
> seen you post anything anywhere.
>
> Your search - site:aws.amazon.com Anthony Liguori - did not match any
> documents.
>
> Your search - site:aws.amazon.com aliguori@...zon.com - did not match
> any documents.
>
> Can we somehow get confirmation from Amazon that this is the right
> person to have on distros? Thanks.

Yes, we need this sort of confirmation.  My other concerns are:

I think Amazon has never participated in discussions on oss-security.
Searching:

site:openwall.com "amazon.com"

finds only Anthony's request for distros list membership and some
irrelevant pages outside of the oss-security archive.  It doesn't find
any oss-security postings from any Amazon person (although checking the
subscriber list I see that some were subscribed, at various times).

As I said in:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2014/01/22/1

"Asking to join linux-distros before you've been on oss-security for a
while (and preferably, having contributed to the discussions in here) is
putting the cart before the horse."

The distros and linux-distros lists exist as an addition to
oss-security.  It is pointless for a distro to be on
distros/linux-distros while not also being on oss-security.  Granted,
Anthony has just joined oss-security (welcome!), yet the sudden interest
in advance notification while apparently not caring about timely
notification (on just-made-public issues) just a week ago is suspicious.

Where's the info on Amazon Linux AMI security updates?  How timely were
they, historically?  (In other words, does a few days of advance notice
really make a difference?)  How are users being notified of them?  How
are users supposed to install them?

I notice that Amazon was added to
http://oss-security.openwall.org/wiki/vendors in 2012.  That's good,
indicating some past interest in security notifications.

https://aws.amazon.com/amazon-linux-ami/security-bulletins/ lists
security bulletins, including already on Heartbleed.

This addresses some of my questions above, yet I'd appreciate direct
answers from Anthony as well.

We were not convinced about Qlustar being on linux-distros being worth
the risk, so we never satisfied Roland's request.  If we're to satisfy
Anthony's request and add Amazon to linux-distros, we need to clearly
show how it meets a higher threshold.

Thanks,

Alexander