Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 21:31:36 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 05:04:03PM +0200, Georgi Guninski wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 06:18:41PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> > of CVE.  So you could consider treating or ignoring your CVE allergy
>
> I am pretty sure someone@...re was coauthor of the
> "responsibility RFC" which shows whose servants
> mitre are.

Whether that is true or not, this has absolutely nothing to do with
whether the technical content of the "CVE request" messages and
follow-ups to them is valuable or not.  I think it is valuable.

Also, if you're concerned of MITRE possibly providing non-public
vulnerability feeds to somewhere, that concern obviously does not apply
to the public CVE requests made on this list.

Regarding new FD:

> Is it reasonable to use a public service for the list --
> outsourcing legal stuff?

I think it's reasonable to try, but with an external service you
probably won't be able to impose the daily quota per sender that you
suggested.

> Running a mirror/torrent is much easier than running
> a mailing list, so even if stuff gets deleted it will
> be in the mirrors.

OK.

You mentioned hosting costs.  I think a $20/month VPS will do.  Perhaps
AWS "free tier" will do as well (IIRC, it's free for the first year).
It's not related to how many people or e-mail addresses have posted (the
statistic you asked for), but rather to the number of subscribers, to
the amount of spam coming to the posting address (and to other related
addresses, such as list admin's and even list robot's, as you must
minimize backscatter) that you'd have to filter out, and to the
acceptable mail delivery delays (a bigger server will let you do more
concurrent deliveries, so the delays will be less - if you do configure
the number of concurrent deliveries according to server capacity).

Alexander