Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 22:48:09 +0100
From: Hanno Böck <hanno@...eck.de>
To: cve-assign@...re.org, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: When is broken crypto a vulnerability?

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 17:37:50 -0400 (EDT)
cve-assign@...re.org wrote:

> > Now there are all kinds of applications doing one of the following
> > things:
>
> > b) Provide an option to use AES, but they don't use it and still
> > create legacy "encryption".
>
> > I think it should be noncontroversial that b) is a vulnerability and
> > thus should get a CVE. Any disagreement here?
>
> It's not completely clear what you mean. If it were a logic error in
> the code, e.g., menu choice 2 of "AES encryption" is selected but the
> code calls the function intended for menu choice 1 of "standard
> encryption," then a CVE could be assigned to the specific codebase
> that has that logic error.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.
One product, it's already disclosed to the vendor and I will publish
details shortly. So we agree this one gets a CVE.

> > I could accept it if applications provide this as a compatibility
> > option when there's a clear sign to the user that it's not secure
>
> There's also the question of whether the security properties are well
> known, and the product does not contain any direct misrepresentation
> (e.g., stating that standard ZIP encryption is "equivalent to PGP" or
> "uses 2048-bit keys").

I have seen such misrepresentations, however I don't know exactly which
product it was. But I'd probably find it again.

> > c) Default to legacy "encryption"
>
> Sometimes there are CVE assignments based on a general concept of "an
> insecure option should not be the default" but here there's the
> complication that only the insecure option has widespread cross-vendor
> compatibility. One needs to consider the support costs of changing the
> default. It's a usability decision for each vendor, based in part on
> what they know about whether their customers use encryption for
> confidentiality or for a different reason.

Well, winzip-type aes-encryption has pretty wide support. I think
roughly 80%, the main exception being the linux commandline zip
(info-zip).

> > calling it "ZipCrypto(insecure)" or "insecure crypto" or something
> > alike
>
> It doesn't seem appropriate to make CVE assignments on the basis that
> a UI omits information that is arguably well known, and is not
> specific to that one product. As an extreme example, every occurrence
> of an http URL in a web browser could have a tooltip stating
> "http(insecure)" or "insecure http," and a subset of web users would
> then be safer.

I think this is a different issue, because nobody says "encryption"
anywhere here.
It ultimately comes down to this: Do we consider "encryption" to be a
term that means "secure encryption" (something like AES) or would we
also consider a vigenere cipher "encryption"?
I'd vote that calling a well-known broken cipher "encryption" is a
misrepresentation and a possible risk.

But I get it you tend to disagree on that.

--
Hanno Böck
http://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: hanno@...eck.de
GPG: BBB51E42

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (837 bytes)