Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 02:10:19 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Request regarding posts to the lists

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 02:38:50PM -0600, security curmudgeon wrote:
> please clearly identify the product in the subject line.

I support this request.  Luckily, most of the time this is already the case.

> Just including a sub-component or vulnerable functions and/or a CVE does
> not tell us what software the mail is about. This has gotten out of hand
> and in at least one case in the past few days, the entire mail never
> clearly stated the software that was vulnerable. Sure, most of us know the
> poster and it followed other advisories, but to newcomers or anyone
> reaching that post via a Google search it is not very friendly.

I am a bit puzzled.  Are you possibly referring to the three Ruby
advisories posted on 2014/02/18?

http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2014/02/18/

If so, I doubt Aaron will notice your request - I think he's not
subscribed.  You might want to e-mail him privately, in case he intends
to post more advisories in the future.

Or maybe you were referring to Vincent's CVE request for
CGI::Application, which didn't mention Perl in the Subject line (but did
in the message body)?  This one actually looks OK with respect to your
request, since CGI::Application appears to be a product on its own (not
bundled with Perl).

http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2014/02/19/11

I find no other examples of this problem "in the past few days",
although of course we've seen it numerous times before.

Alexander