Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 12:19:23 -0800
From: Nick Kralevich <nnk@...gle.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: "CERT(R) Coordination Center" <cert@...t.org>
Subject: Re: Vendor adoption of PIE INFO#934476 oss-security

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Nick Kralevich <nnk@...gle.com> wrote:
> Statically linked executables with PIE are
> not supported today [4], although I'd love to see it in the future.
>
> [4] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.binutils/56324

Expanding on what I wrote earlier...

The Google security patch rewards program [5] rewards security
improvements in open source projects, such as GCC, llvm, and Android.
While I can't speak for the committee which approves these rewards,
I'd be happy to support and recommend rewards to any security
researcher who implements statically linked PIE support. In my mind,
there are three possible rewards here, one for GCC, llvm, and Android.

[5] https://www.google.com/about/appsecurity/patch-rewards/

--
Nick Kralevich | Android Security | nnk@...gle.com | 650.214.4037