Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 13:51:47 -0700
From: "Vincent Danen" <vdanen@...hat.com>
To: "Open Source Security" <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: CVE assignment for jinja2

On 01/11/2014, at 13:37 PM, Vincent Danen wrote:

> On 01/10/2014, at 22:34 PM, Kurt Seifried wrote:
>
>> https://github.com/mitsuhiko/jinja2/commit/acb672b6a179567632e032f547582f30fa2f4aa7
>>
>> dirname = '_jinja2-cache-%d' % os.getuid()
>>
>> Arun Babu Neelicattu of Red Hat spotted this commit which introduces a
>> temporary file creation vulnerability. This issue has been assigned
>> CVE-2014-0012. For information on how to safely create temporary files
>> please see
>> http://kurt.seifried.org/2012/03/14/creating-temporary-files-securely/
>>
>> For Python simply use ?mkstemp? for files and ?mkdtemp? for
>> directories from the ?tempfile? module.
>
> MITRE assigned CVE-2014-1402 to this yesterday:
>
> http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2014/q1/71 (the report, the followup has the CVE assignment).
>
> That means you'll need to reject this assignment; the commit that Arun spotted was due to the Debian bug report (which the git commit notes, and Ratul linked to in his initial CVE request to the list).

Sorry, I thought the same thing as what Ratul requested for (CVE-2014-1402) was being reported again.  This is indeed something different as the git commit to fix CVE-2014-1402 introduced this new temporary file issue.

Sorry for the noise/confusion.

--
Vincent Danen / Red Hat Security Response Team
Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (711 bytes)