Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 11:24:15 +0100
From: Jordi Sanfeliu <jordi@...ranet.cat>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request: monitorix: HTTP server 'handle_request()' session fixation & XSS vulnerabilities (clearing up confusion)

Hi,

Following the suggestion from Brian Martin (Open Security Foundation), I
write here to try to clear up things [1] related to the latest security
vulnerabilities that affected the Monitorix built-in HTTP server.

In 20-Nov-2013 Jacob Amey from Security Inspection, Inc. opened a new
issue #30 [2] exposing the three different security vulnerabilities he
found. One of them was classified as High while the last two were as
Medium.

In 21-Nov-2013 I released the new 3.3.1 version fixing the first one,
that is the one that was classified as High. The security vulnerability
was described as "Arbitrary Command Execution" and the function affected
was 'handle_request()'. I left the other two vulnerabilities to be fixed
in the next 3.4.0 version that was almost ready to be released.

In 02-Dec-2013 I released the new 3.4.0 version which included fixes for
the remain two security vulnerabilities discovered by Jacob Amey in the
same issue #30.

These two security vulnerabilities fixed in 3.4.0 were described as "Web
Server Generic Cookie Injection" and "Web Server Generic XSS" as stated
in the issue #30 and the function affected was again 'handle_request()'.
[3]

Since it seemed that the fact I put a link in the news pointing to BID
63913 added some confusion, I've recently updated the news in the
Monitorix web site to make things as clear as possible. [4]

Thank you very much.
Best regards.

[1] <http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2013/q4/442>
[2] <https://github.com/mikaku/Monitorix/issues/30>