Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 18:15:36 +0100
From: Christopher Dell <chris@...rish.com>
To: kseifried@...hat.com
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com,
 ruby-security-ann@...glegroups.com,
 rubyonrails-security@...glegroups.com,
 tenderlove@...y-lang.org,
 "mattaimonetti@...il.com Aimonetti" <mattaimonetti@...il.com>,
 clemens@...lway.at,
 jose.valim@...il.com,
 stephan.soller@...ionweb.de,
 saimonmoore@...il.com,
 me@...nfuchs.com
Subject: Re: Re: [CVE-2013-4491] Reflective XSS Vulnerability in Ruby on Rails

Hello everyone,

Just to clarify I18n.enforce_available_locales quickly, when I18n initialises, it creates an array of the known locales called I18n.available_locales.
Typically, this array is created by scanning for YML files (in config/locales for a Rails app).
With I8n.enforce_available_locales set to true, we check that the locale we're trying to use (eg. translate or localize) is included in the available_locales. This means we're certain it can't be malicious user submitted data even outside of the scope of a Rails app.

I could really use a hand with the CVE announcements, I literally have no idea about any of this!

Cheers,

-- Chris

PS. Including Sven's correct email address.

On Dec 3, 2013, at 22:54 PM, Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com> wrote:

> Signed PGP part
> On 12/03/2013 02:32 PM, kpolitowicz@...onik.ca wrote:
> > Thanks. But what's the deal with I18n.enforce_available_locales ?
> >

> That's a good question, the technical side of which I would point you at:
>
> http://rubygems.org/gems/i18n
>
> The latest release fixes security stuff, however they don't do CVE
> announcements/ChangeLog anywhere I can see. Adding them to this email
> CC. Guys, if you need help drafting a security announcements I'd be
> glad to help.
>
> --
> Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
> PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993

Content of type "text/html" skipped

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (497 bytes)