Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 18:16:30 +0100
From: Stefan Bühler <stbuehler@...httpd.net>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: openssl default ciphers

Hi,

while working on the lighttpd SNI bug I realized that openssl defaults
to a very bad set of ciphers.

I also couldn't find a sane recommendation from upstream openssl to use
as default, as "DEFAULT" obviously is not a good choice. (I also don't
see any reason why "DEFAULT" includes export and "LOW" ciphers...)

Is 'DEFAULT@...ENGTH:!LOW:!EXP' (should
be similar to 'HIGH:MEDIUM:!aNULL') a reasonably default?

I don't want to enforce PFS or break compatibility on purpose; so I
think the default could be a little bit less "secure" than what I would
actually recommend to use.

So I'm not interested in how to get a super extra secure cipher set
(there are many cipher strings in the wild by various folks for that),
but more in a reasonable lower bound.

regards,
Stefan

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (837 bytes)