Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 21:20:54 +0200
From: Hanno Böck <hanno@...eck.de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: CVE request: cmsmadesimple before 1.11.8 / bad upstream behaviour
 vs. CVE assignment

Hi,

I want to request a CVE, but also start some discussion about how to
handle such issues.

The release notes for cmsmadesimple 1.11.8 mention a security issue:
http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/announcing-cmsms-1-11-8-fioreana/
"This release brings a few minor features, some performance
improvements, documentation improvements, a Smarty upgrade, and a
number of bug fixes (including a minor security issue)."

Now, this is all the information you get. Nothing about the kind of
security issue, let alone a bug nr or commit. The question is: What do
we do with such shitty upstream behaviour?

Last time I reported something alike I was told that I should provide
more info. The question is: How?

Sure, I could diff the release to the release before or try to find
some repository and read all the commits in the timeframe. But I'm not
getting paid for this, I merely want to improve overall security of
free software voluntarily.

So how will we proceed with such stuff? In the past, we often had "CVE
for unknown security issue in xxx"-alike assignments.

cu,
--
Hanno Böck
http://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: hanno@...eck.de
GPG: BBB51E42

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (837 bytes)