Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 23:59:59 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: RESEND: CVE Request: pwgen

On 10/11/2013 09:34 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
> Kurt, Steve, all -
>
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 03:35:09PM +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
>> It might just not be that CVE worthy. But I saw no replies...
>
> I now think it is CVE worthy.
>
>> (CVE worthyness: It does not fully meet the security expectations
>> of generating a non-weak password by default.... )
>>
>> Solar? Kurt?
>
> Kurt was "sitting on the fence for this one":
>
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2012/01/17/12
>
> At the time, I replied that it was too early for the CVE aspect, as
> I was still figuring out the magnitude of the problem:
>
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2012/01/17/14
>
> Steve replied that having an insecure feature documented does not
> always preclude from CVE assignment:
>
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2012/01/17/15
>
> To this, I can add that although the phoneme mode is documented as
> being less secure, the magnitude and ways in which it is less
> secure are unclear from the documentation.  Specifically, there's
> no mention that the distribution of generated passwords is highly
> non-uniform, and indeed this is not clear from merely looking at a
> handful of passwords. (I guess this non-uniformity was not expected
> by the author, and thus it is a bug.)
>
> Also, without looking at the documentation, it is not even
> immediately clear (to a new user of the program) that phonemes are
> being used. At first glance, the passwords look like they could
> potentially use the full 62^8 keyspace - but this is actually not
> the case, by far.  So the program's default behavior is
> misleading.
>
> The thread ended here, with some figures showing just how bad the
> problem is:
>
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2012/01/22/6
>
> The CVE aspect was not revisited.
>
> Here are the figures for pwgen's defaults with output to tty:
>
> Top 1 million of unique passwords from my 1 billion training set
> cracks 3.7% of passwords in the test set.
>
> Top 10 million cracks 14.5%.
>
> Top 44 million cracks 21%.  (I chose this as an optimal wordlist
> size.)
>
> Top 100 million cracks 26.3%.
>
> With pwgen's defaults with output to non-tty:
>
> Top 45.5 million cracks 75%.  (Ouch!)
>
> These results can be improved a little bit (slightly higher
> percentages cracked per same wordlist size) by using a larger
> training set (beyond 1 billion) or by considering all of the
> phoneme probabilities, etc. and creating a program that would
> output pwgen's possible passwords in an optimal order (this proves
> to be a non-trivial task so far, yet someone may do it).
>
> Alexander
>
>> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 11:11:59AM +1000, Michael Samuel wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> No CVEs have been assigned for this, and as far as I can tell
>>> no distributions have patched.

Welp I can't argue with data (well I could, but that would be silly).

Please use:

CVE-2013-4440 pwgen non-tty passwords are trivially weak by default

CVE-2013-4441 pwgen Phonemes mode has heavy bias and is enabled by default

CVE-2013-4442 pwgen Silent fallback to insecure entropy

CVE-2013-4443 pwgen Secure mode has bias towards numbers and uppercase
letters

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993