Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 10:35:32 +0530
From: Huzaifa Sidhpurwala <huzaifas@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: cve-assign@...re.org
Subject: Re: CVE-2013-5575 LibTIFF through 3.9.5 integer overflow

On 08/24/2013 08:15 PM, cve-assign@...re.org wrote:
> http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/fulldisclosure/2013-08/0247.html
> http://www.x90c.org/advisories/xadv_2013001_libtiff.txt
>
> This apparently only affects older versions but seems different from
> CVE-2012-1173 and other CVEs, so it is assigned CVE-2013-5575.

There seems to be no vulnerability in here, checkout the exploit code:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include "tiffio.h"

int tiff_integer_overflow_test(){
TIFF* tif = TIFFOpen("/home/x90c/sample_spp.tif", "r");
int samples = 0;

/*
 * for instance, TIFFGetField library function will
 * called with malicious samplesperpixel field value
 * TIFFGetField got segfault!
 */
TIFFGetField(tif, TIFFTAG_SAMPLESPERPIXEL, &samples);

printf("tiff_poc: tif samplesperpixel field=%d\n", samples);
}

This is obviously missing a check for the return value of *tif after
TIFFOpen(). In the above case, since libtiff isnt able to open the file,
it returns a NULL, Our "exploit" code above tried to run TIFFGetField()
on it, and results in a "fixed value deference",so this is user-mistake
and not a vulnerability.

I want to ask to REJECT this CVE.

--
Huzaifa Sidhpurwala / Red Hat Security Response Team