Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 20:21:17 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Donald Stufft <donald@...fft.io>,
        Assign a CVE Identifier <cve-assign@...re.org>
Subject: Re: Reserved CVE for pip

On 08/07/2013 11:20 AM, Donald Stufft wrote:
> So I was researching pip's CVE's some more and I came across
> CVE-2013-1888 which Kurt assigned
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2013/03/22/10 but which
> shows up as RESERVED
> https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2013-1888.
>
> Can you fix this so it's not RESERVED Kurt?
>
> ----------------- Donald Stufft PGP: 0x6E3CBCE93372DCFA // 7C6B
> 7C5D 5E2B 6356 A926 F04F 6E3C BCE9 3372 DCFA

Nope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Vulnerabilities_and_Exposures#Description

Description

This is a standardized text description of the issue(s). One common
entry is:

** RESERVED ** This candidate has been reserved by an organization
or individual that will use it when announcing a new security problem.
When the candidate has been publicized, the details for this
candidate will be provided.

This means that the entry number has been reserved by Mitre for an
issue or a CNA has reserved the number. So in the case where a CNA
requests a block of CVE numbers in advance (e.g. Red Hat currently
requests CVEs in blocks of 500) the CVE number will be marked as
reserved even though the CVE itself may not be assigned by the CNA for
some time. Until The CVE is assigned AND Mitre is made aware of it
(e.g. the embargo passes and the issue is made public) AND Mitre has
researched the issue and written a description of it entries will show
up as "** RESERVED **".

Mitre: can we consider changing the text to be more explanatory, I get
requests for this constantly (people seem t think I run the database
or something ;).

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993